Monday, July 7, 2014

Corn Free July: Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms



Corn Free July 2014 is off to a pretty good start. I was pleasantly surprised by how much corn-free and otherwise unprocessed stuff I already have lying around. The first couple of days are usually a steep learning curve, but this time around I realized that things like bread, cooking oil, and even chicken breast that were already in the kitchen just happen to be Corn Free July approved.

As I was planning out my meals for the week, I came across some handwritten index cards in a recipe box that I seem to have inadvertently stolen from my friend Krisha when we stopped living together. It was such a great found object. No credit for where it came from, just her familiar bubbly printing on a green index card with the bare bones of how to make stuffed portobello mushrooms. Here it is:

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms




Ingredients:

  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 carrot, peeled & finely diced
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1/4 green pepper, finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. basil
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice (I used quinoa. Same thing, right?)
  • 4 medium portobello mushrooms



Directions:

  1. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, green pepper, & garlic. Saute until crisp-tender. Stir in basil & oregano.
  2. Remove from heat & combine with rice. Salt & pepper to taste.
  3. Remove stems from mushrooms. Place mushroom in lightly oiled casserole dish. Top with rice mixture, packing down slightly. Brush with remaining 1 tsp. olive oil.
  4. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Damned if I know. If it was from when we lived together, it could have come from anywhere.

    ReplyDelete