My neighbors went strawberry picking last week and were very generous with their haul, sending me back upstairs with a quart of fresh, local berries, so I celebrated my first day of vacation from work with my favorite breakfast indulgence.
- 1 1/4 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips or (read the ingredients list carefully, but milk is usually the only one to avoid with chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- pure maple syrup
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda until well blended.
- Gradually stir in milk, a little at a time, until the mixture is just a little bit doughier than cake batter
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Meanwhile, stir in chocolate chips and then strawberries until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the frying pan, making pancakes your desired size.
- Flip when the batter starts to bubble, then flip again after about 3 minutes to make sure both sides of golden brown.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.