Adapted from a recipe from The Post Punk Kitchen, this much a delicious corn-free, vegan meal.
1 cup thinly sliced shallots
6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
2 cups vegetable broth
1/3 cup dry white wine
black pepper to taste
1 generous pinch of dried thyme
1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup capers with a little brine
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (beware of ascorbic acid in the bottled stuff)
4 cups arugula
6 small red or white potatoes
1 cup almond milk
1. Peel and slice potatoes, drop into a pot of boiling water until soft.
2. Preheat a large heavy bottomed pan over medium. Sauté the shallots and garlic for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add the breadcrumbs and toast them by stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. They should turn a few shades darker.
3. Add the vegetable broth and wine, salt, black pepper and thyme. Turn up heat and bring to a rolling boil and let the sauce reduce by 1/2, about 7 minutes.
4. When potatoes are ready, remove from heat and mash, adding olive oil and almond milk until desired texture is achieved.
5. Add the chickpeas and capers to shallots mix. Heat through, about three minutes. Add lemon and turn off the heat.
6. Place the arugula in a wide bowl. Place mashed potatoes on top, and ladle picatta over the potatoes.