Monday, December 17, 2012
Wintry Sugar Cookies
Like any dessert, these should be enjoyed in moderation, but the whole wheat flour makes them a little less horrendous for you than the ones you find in a box.
1 3/4 coups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
3/4 cups (3 sticks) pastured butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup maple sugar
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg (certified humane if you can find it)
1 egg white
1. Whisk flours, salt, and tapioca starch together in a small bowl.
2. Beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar, then vanilla, eggs, and flour.
3. Scrape dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap, form into a flat disc, and wrap completely. Refrigerate at least three hours.
4. Preheat over to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. Roll dough into 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out cookies. Place 2 inches apart on sheet. Decorate with sugar. Bake about 10-12 minutes.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies